Kiera's Tyranny

This blog is about our 2 children, Kiera 2 and Kalista, both born in May, 2 years and 9 days apart. I like to post pictures and tell funny stories about usually Kiera's antics. This is a way to keep family and friends "in the loop". I have moved my ranting to another blog :)

Friday, May 13, 2005

Racism and Prejudice

Okay so I have stuff on my mind and I am going to blog about it. This is a blog that I will actually get feedback on, so here it goes.


There is a new movie out called Crash. Apparently an interesting discourse in racial relations. These are my thoughts:

On a show called Starting Over there is a black woman saying the most racist statement ever is "I have black friends". I am going WHAT? Why exactly is that BAD?
If you are white, you are constantly on the defense that you ARENT prejudice or racist.

I also think a REALLY stupid statement is "I am colour blind". How unthoughtful is that?

Racial relations are complex and to hard to summarize into single statements. There is a very ugly history between the white Canadians and Natives, they are treated heinously by the government and have tons of preconceptions to deal with by the common person on the street. Its a bit difficult to associate myself with that, because that is part of who I am mix wise, but so far from my daily existence.
The "facts" of race are this: we are like 99% alike. 99%!! that means there is a VERY small iota of difference between me and the blackest woman in Africa and that is the colour of our skin.

I feel that the colour blind statement is ignorant because I will NEVER live in the shoes of a black person or truly native person. I will never know what it is like to be treated a certain way because of many preconcieved notions of who I am. I mean, I guess people have assumptions now, but I dont feel that they necessarily guide my life in any particular direction.

I try and "judge" people on who they are as a person, and if I happen to dislike a Japanese person its because of their person, not their skin.

It is also ignorant of me to suppose that I am free of any prejudice in my own self. I think the media definitely sets it up to assume many things when you see a black man, or now an Arab on the street. do they have a gun? are they terrorists?

When you look a certain way, like say Indian, you probably have a whole culture that does along with it. Or if you are Chinese, you might have a tea ceremony at your wedding. How cool is that? I think that is a really cool part of Canada being able to keep those traditions and adopting the western ones. I kind of feel like Canada doesn't exactly have this set image that helps us define who we are, except that we aren't Americans! But we don't have a lot of specifically Canadian things either. you can most definitely argue that point with me if you'd like.

I don't feel like I am free of all prejudice and assumptions in my life. I am and have always been fascinated with other cultures and places, why do you think I travelled so much? But I also know that when I meet say and Indian doctor on the plane, I might think "he may have had his marriage arranged" and sure enough he did.

Does being a certain race define who you are? no. I met this one guy who was at least 1/4 Korean and he hated to even admit it. I am not sure why. But then I think of myself, and why I hesitate to admit that I am aboriginal too. I think its because I grew up white and I know my birth family is dysfunctional. I feel like I have too much in my life to deal with that. how can I be native when I don't even talk to those that are???

Admitted assumptions about Indians:
That they probably work the working class jobs here in Canada, that they don't have a lot of money and that they live with their whole families.
Things that have shaken that up:
I met an Indian doctor on the plane once. loaded and his education was acceptable to US standards.
I met a lovely lady in the mall who was driving a bugaboo stroller that are worth roughly $700US, you obviously have money to do that. I never asked her if her marriage was arranged!
When I meet someone from Pakistan, I assume they are Muslim. I have since met a Christian.

So any thoughts would be great. I am sure I offended someone, but at least I am being honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home